Saturday 16 January 2016

The Arts - T.O.K

ART IS

Simplistic and common sense views

Discussing these concepts, my aim is to overcome them and so come to a view which considers Art as a mean of knowledge, filled with specific and own content, able to redeem the whole human being.
vART IS BEAUTIFUL
vART IS CONTAGIOUS
vART IS FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION
vART IS INTERDISCIPLINARY
vART IS OBJECT OF CONSUPTION

What makes something a work of art?

 This is a controversial matter, it varies depending on personal preferences and interpretations.
vMAN MADE
vCREATES AN EMOTIONAL RESPONSE/ EMOTIONAL VALUE
vHAS A MEANING BEHIND / COMMUNICATES A MESSAGE
vCREATES AN AESTHETIC RESPONSE/ ASTHETIC VALUE
vQUESTIONS THE WAY WE LOOK AT THINGS
vTHE RESPONSE OF THE AUDIENCE
vTHE QUALITY OF THE WORK
vIT IS EDUCATIVE
vCREATES TRENDS

"Marilyn" by Joana Vasconcelos

vMade out of hundreds of stainless steel pans and covers, ‘Marilyn’ was inspired by the high-heel shoes worn by Marilyn Monroe in the infamous clip from “The Seven Year Itch”, when the blond bombshell walks over an air-vent.
vThrough her stainless steel work of art, Joana Vasconcelos points out that modern-day women are expected to look beautiful in public, and do all the work around the house.
vThe 13ft by 9.8ft stainless steel pan ‘Marilyn’ is expected to sell for a sum between $155,000 and $233,550.

This piece of art is worthy of a lot of skill and it is considerate to be high quality, it is therefore seen as art by many.
vTo me it is definitely art, it is art in the sense of being very ingenious and meaningful. I can identify myself with the meaning behind it and I can relate the work to the meaning.
vAccording to the moral of relativism, there are no universal values; our values are determined by the society in which we live in. Living in a developed world and in a feminist society, my moral values and my judgments say that this is art, and thus moral reasoning accounts for defining something as true to ourselves.
vThe diversity argument supports the theory of moral relativism and helps to understand this piece as being art.
vI based my opinion on perception, emotion and reason.

Poem "Tabacaria" by Álvaro de Campos

 “I am nothing.
I'll never be anything.
I couldn't want to be something.
Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams in the world.” 

vFernando Pessoa was a prolific writer, and not only under his own name, for he dreamed up approximately seventy-five others. He did not call them pseudonyms because he felt that did not capture their true independent intellectual life and instead called them heteronyms.
vÁlvaro de Campos , out of all the other, he is the one who feels most strongly, his motto being 'to feel everything in every way.' 'The best way to travel,' he wrote, 'is to feel.'
vAs such, his poetry is the most emotionally intense and varied, constantly juggling two fundamental impulses: on the one hand a feverish desire to be and feel everything and everyone, declaring that 'in every corner of my soul stands an altar to a different god‘, on the other, a wish for a state of isolation and a sense of nothingness.

In my opinion, to write is to create something meaningful, to express our emotions through words. I think that poems in particular are a much expressive and truthful way of doing so.
vI identify myself with this poem because I share the feelings and the perception of the world which this poem transpires.
vI know that this is art because of my individual experience, reflection and perspective.
vI also think that my views are influenced by my culture and by the people who stand up to me as a role model. Both lead me to see poems as something beautiful which we can and must admire and reflect. Thus, I have based my arguments on ethics and human science.

"Ghost Dance" by Christopher Bruce

 Ghost Dance video - click me :)
v‘Ghost Dance’ (choreographed by Christopher Bruce for Rambert in 1981) came about as a result of a letter received by Christopher Bruce from a widow of a Chilean folk singer who had been murdered. He was asked to do a work for the Chilean Human Rights Committee and was given a lot of South American music with which he fell in love. This stirred him to be sympathetic towards the cause of the Committee who were against unnecessary killings taking place throughout their country.

Certainly, ‘Ghost Dance’ has a tremendous impact and audiences in many countries have delighted in its distinctive, rhythmic movement performed to haunting South American tunes. However, it is the representation of the oppression of ordinary people, symbolised by the sinister ghost figures, which give the work much of its resonance.
vI am convinced that ‘Ghost dance’ is a very influential and critical view of the world, the people and the unknown.
vI have used my sense, perception, reason and emotion in order to create a view of this piece and I have reached the conclusion that it is very educative. It has helped me to understand and deepen my knowledge of political oppression as well as the culture of the people being represented in this dance work. 
vIt is obviously man made and it has a great meaning behind it, creating many emotional responses and raising questions which can lead to a new understanding of the world.
vTherefore, I assume that this is Art.

RRRRRC

vTO BUILD
vTO UNDERSTAND AND
vTO EXPRESS


No comments:

Post a Comment